Are you motivated? Bursting with heaps of ideas? Love having a good time?
Our Youth Squads provide leadership opportunities for young people who want to make a difference to the lives of other young people and have a positive impact in their community.
Youth Squads are made up of guys and girls aged 13 – 18 who make their mark by organising and running awesome drug, smoke and alcohol free events for youth in their community such as Youth in the Park. They also take on the role as “think tank” in developing ideas for new term programmes and help promote them to other young people.
Youth Squads are unique to the community in which they are formed so that they can reflect the personality of the region that they represent.
Belonging to a Youth Squad is not only a tonne of fun, it’s a great way for young people to unleash their inner leader, develop skills and gain real event management experience under the guidance of experienced youth leaders.
But don’t get us wrong, being part of a Youth Squad is not all work! Amongst running events and sharpening social skills there is still plenty of time for fun.
So if you want to step up, get involved and take the lead then contact your Youth Coordinator to register your interest today.
Find out a little about the Youth Squad co-ordinator for your branch below.
My name is Dionne Afutoto and I am the Team Leader of The Youth Squads and Programmes for 13-18 years, in Auckland Central, Avondale and Panmure as well as being the Youth Coordinator for Auckland Central branch (at Nelson Street).
I have been in the role for nearly 4 years and think I have one of the best jobs in the world since I get to work with a great bunch of colleagues and a fantastic squad of young men and women from the local high schools.
I also have the privilege of getting to work alongside an amazing colleague and friend, Vei Vea who is the Avondale Youth Coordinator.
I love working with young people as they both inspire me and keep me young! I hope that during their time with me that they learn some extra life skills that are not normally covered at school and therefore are better equipped for life beyond their school years.
Hi my name is Adam Brown-Rigg and I am the Panmure Youth Squad coordinator and sports program coordinator.
The Panmure Youth Squad’s upcoming events include Youth In The Park at Talbot Reserve Glen Innes. Youth In The Park events provide 13-18 year olds opportunities to participate in a range of activities both sporting and recreational. Some of the activities include laser skirmish, bungee run and a touch rugby tournament music will be provided by DJ Al Goodie.
Additionally Panmure Youth Squad has recently started two weekly sports programs, Sports Monday (Crossfeilds Park Glendowie) and Sports Friday (Talbot Reserve Glen Innes). The sports programs provide 13-18 year olds an opportunity to play sports and make new friends in local parks and reserves. At the conclusion of the sports programs healthy snacks are provided for all participants and points are awarded to the top three players of the day. At the end of each school term prizes are awarded to the top three participants with the highest points.
In term two 2013 Panmure Youth Squad will be providing two Youth workshops and are currently in the development process.
Welcome, Kia Ora, Haere Mai, Churr!
Whatever you preferred way of saying hello, Youth Coordinators Pix and Kat say What’s UP Yo!
Hi I’m Pickle (Pix), a Youth Coordinator for Youthtown Taupo.
As well as being passionate about youth development, I’m passionate about painting and have won various art competitions and even lucky enough to sell my art.
I also love fitness, music and performing and especially being a DJ which I get the chance to do at the Youthtown Raves as well as at weddings, birthdays, and community events.
I love working in Taupo and seeing how young people directly benefit from being involved with Youthtown.
Hi there everyone I’m Kat ( Katherine) the new Coordinator here at Taupo.
I have recently moved back to my beautiful home town, as for the past four years I have been working hard towards completing my conjoint degree, a Bachelor of Sport and Leisure and Bachelor of Teaching.
Alongside my passion for youth development, I enjoy being active outdoors, singing, playing my guitar and piano.
As long as I am interacting and inspiring the youth of today in some way I feel fulfilled!
So what are youth squads all about?
Have you been wondering about, dreaming about, and talking about being in the Youthtown Taupo Squad?
Then let us tell you what being a part of the Youthtown Taupo Squad is all about:
- Student Voice - Getting your friends say across to other Squad members during meetings, gathering collective ideas from your peers at school and sharing them with others and Youth Coordinators, openly and honestly.
- Helping out with Youthtown Taupo events- You will be required to attend and help at Raves/Dance Parties, Shreddin Trips-up the mountain, Breakaway Holiday adventures
- Promoting Afterschool Term time workshops/programs- At some lunchtimes you will be needed to get out there amongst your friends and peers at school and hand out flyers and engage the young people in conversation about what Youthtown taupo has coming up!
- Putting ideas forward at meetings- Any ideas that you personally have, we want them! We want to know your thoughts and ideas too! So being able to share what you think and feel is important too!
- Having fun- Last but not least! We want you to enjoy the experience of being apart of the Youthtown Squad, and get fully involved in everything Youthtown!
What you’ll get out of it:
- You’ll get to form tight knit relationships with the Taupo community
- You’ll learn Event management. Manage, plan and run events, such as Dance Parties/ Art Exhibitions and other community events
- You’ll gain confidence in public speaking
- You’ll learn time management and organisational skills to benefit you in every area of your life
- You’ll get a snazzy uniform, a gangsta hoodie and a t-shirt
- YOU CAN...
We are looking for committed youth to be part of the Taupo Squad 2013. This is just like taking up a sport... A year long sport. Youthtown Taupo will need to be one of your main priorities so if you can commit to that then we can guarantee you’ll reap huge rewards from being part of our team so contact one of us today
We look forward to hearing from you!
Pix & Kat
Taupo Youth Coordinators
Kia Ora & Whaddup,
I'm Dan Henderson and im the Youth Coordinator for Youthtown Upper Hutt. I have lived in Upper Hutt my entire life – a whole 22 years. In that time I have tried to be involved with as many community activities and events as much as possible. These include coaching rugby & cricket in local colleges, working and helping out at H20 Xtream & Activation and working in community services at the Upper Hutt City Council. I have always had a particular passion when it comes to meeting and working with Young people – and the Youth Programme at Youthtown is another example of how my passion continues to grow when it comes to working with local youth in Upper Hutt.
The Youth Squad are a group of local year 9-13 students spread out over the 4 local colleges who run events and activities for youth in Upper Hutt. We are a Youth-based and led group which means their ideas are the ones that matter, not ours. We use the Squad as the voice of all of the other young people in Upper Hutt so their ideas and thoughts are essential when it comes to planning and running events. The squad plan, promote and run the events and activities which not only helps cater something towards the youth of Upper Hutt, but also gives this group something for them to own and nurture.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, I look forward to hearing from you all!
Upper Hutt Youth Coordinator
Mobile: 022 693 6096
Details coming soon
My name is Anika McLennan and I am the Youthtown coordinator for Youthtown Oamaru and your go to girl for our Oamaru Youth Squad. I am a new recruit to the Youthtown team and I love every minute of my new job!
I am a local girl, born and breed in Oamaru. I attended Waitaki Girls High School and I have just recently completed a physical education degree at Otago University. Sport is my thing! I play netball, basketball, touch and softball and in my spare time I hit the pavement and do a bit of running.
I really enjoy working with young people and have a passion for youth development. It is such a privilege to be able to watch young people grow and become comfortable in their own skin, to help them to achieve their goals and to see them develop all sorts of great skills such as leadership & responsibility which they can use out there in their communities and the big wide world.
The Oamaru Youth Squad members are a fantastic bunch of students who are selected from our 3 local high schools. Our aim is provide safe and fun things for youth to do as well as giving our members the opportunity to gain lots of new schools.
So what will you have to do as a Squad member?
- Attend weekly meetings after school
- Help in the planning and running of smoke, alcohol and drug free events and activities for intermediate and secondary school aged children
- Participate in team building activities and training camps
- Help with sponsorship and promotion of events
- Attend squad events and support other Youthtown events where possible
What will Youthtown do for the Squad?
- Give training in leadership, communication and event management
- Supply skux uniforms
- Plan fun team building activities including overnight camps – surf, snow etc.
- Provide and opportunity for young people to gain experience in running events and to have a say on things in their community
- Supply transport and food at meetings and events
- Provide squad members with an opportunity to begin/complete their Duke of Edinburgh
If you are interested we would love to hear from you! Drop into the office for a chat and grab an application form. Come join a sometimes crazy crew and help support the youth of our community!